Monday, July 8, 2013

The Lord's Work


Aloha Everyone,
 
If I have learned anything this week, it is that this is truly the Lord's work. I already thought I knew that coming out here on a mission but being able to fully realize the seemingly insignificant parts of my life all working together to get to this point is just amazing.
 
Time and time again, I will walk into someone's home and listen to them speak and something I was talking about with my companion earlier or some life experience relates directly to them. It's amazing. I'm not saying that this happens every time, but it does happen and it is great. Even when we seem to have really random conversations, it'll come up later while talking to those we come into contact with. It's awesome.
 
I truly feel so blessed to be a missionary because to be completely honest the Lord could've used anyone. If the Lord wants something to be done it will be. It doesn't matter who, but they'll be someone receptive enough to the Spirit to get that work done. I feel like being here has really blessed me more than the others I am trying to help. It seems so amazing to me that my Heavenly Father would love me so much that He would bless me with this opportunity to witness changes in people that have struggles that directly relate to my own life. How awesome it is to be here on a mission and to be able to witness those changes over and over again. I love being a missionary, it is seriously the best decision I have ever made in my life.
 
But, on a lighter note, being a missionary does have it's awkward moments, especially when you're me. So here's the awkward moment of this week. Actually, it's probably the most embarrassing moment of my mission thus far, which probably means that there are many more to come...great.
 
As a zone, we all went contacting together at a street fair that the city of Pleasanton hosts every firstWednesday of the month. We had a little area we set up and some of us sang hymns while others contacted. It was pretty great.
 
I was contacting, which by the way is awesome. I placed my first Book of Mormon. I felt so epic. Haha. Anyways, I'm smiling and these three men come walking by. I do the usual thing and start talking to them. They stop and just keep nodding their heads smiling back at me. So of course being the greenie that I am, I am stoked. I start talking to them about Mormon.org and tell them to check it out. As I'm pretty much rambling on and on one of the guys grabs his friend by the shoulders and turns him around. He then points to his ear.
 
Yup. They were all deaf.
 
I just tried to contact three deaf guys and they weren't actually interested in what I was saying. They were just trying to be polite and when they noticed that I wasn't going to stop talking they kindly pointed out to me that they couldn't hear a word I was saying. Haha. Oh man... I was so embarrassed. It was so awkward. They were so nice about it but holy moly, I wanted to go crawl under a rock. Haha oh dear.
 
Haha, that's just been one event. I've already almost straight ran into my companion on our bikes while she was trying to contact these other people. Haha. But I love it. People look at me like I'm a lunatic, but it's seriously the greatest thing. I love being a missionary and I wouldn't have it any other way.
 
Hope to hear from you all!
 
Love you lots,
Sis.Ellis-Lui-Kwan



Sis. Ellis-Lui-Kwan & Sis. Johnson

President & Sister Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment