Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Day in the Life of a "Pro" Missionary


(Hey Gang - Sorry this is a late post! It's my fault. Keep those letters coming! I know she loves it! Mahalo-Anela)

Aloha everyone, 
 
So this week I'd thought I'd write about pretty much what I do every day. Our mission president, President Watkins, has this sort of mantra for us all, it's "look pro, act pro, be pro." As missionaries in this area we try to maintain a high standard of professionalism in all those that we interact with on a daily basis. Even though I'm not techinically in Silicon Valley, a lot of the people I work with are very accomplished YSAs (Young Single Adults) and some work there. President Watkins really knows what he's talking about though, with all these super smart people if I was to walk up to someone all confused and not put together most people wouldn't give me the time of day! Haha, sometimes that doesn't happen even when I am all put together but it's still awesome because contacting is one of my favorite things!
 
Okay...so an average day. We wake up at 6:25 a.m., we're a 6:25 a.m. mission, and sometimes even earlier and we go and exercise. There's four of us that live together in a member's home and one Sister is this awesome crossfit master and she is basically our stand-in coach for the morning. It's awesome, but the other day I woke up and thought my arms were going to fall off from the push-ups we did the day before.
 
Then we come back home and it's a mad rush as four girls get ready, take a shower, and eat breakfast all within the hour. Haha. But then, we start our studies. An hour of personal study and then two hours of companion study which includes some training.
 
We don't end up leaving this house until about 11:00 a.m. we then either go to appointments we have set up to teach people or visit people in our congregation and teach them. We eat lunch and do a few hours of service. Go to a dinner appointment and then after dinner we do a few more visits or do some contacting.
 
Contacting is my favorite. I don't know if I've explained this before but contacting is basically when we meet people on the street and talk a little about the gospel. Sometimes we hand them a "mormon.org" card or give them a copy of the Book of Mormon. Either way it is the most awkwardly amazing thing there can be. It's so fun to walk up to someone and ask them about their belief in God, they are so weirded out by you. It's hilarious. I love it!
 
But yup. That's basically how my day goes just about everyday. We do lots of service and try to work a lot with the members. It is great! I love being a missionary.
 
Until next week! Love you all!
 
Love,
SIs. Ellis-Lui-Kwan
my tag : )

Sister Sotele

Elder Perkins

the BIG map

"The District"

Sister Barlow

Arriving in San Jose

Sister Christensen

Sister Bishop

My "new" Betsy! (FYI, Betsy is the name of my car back home!)

Let's eat! : )

Dublin, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment